Streets and avenues without traffic, as well as calm and tranquility, are words that describe life in Isla Mujeres, a small but impressive island in Quintana Roo that has stolen thousands of glances of tourists who visit it.
However, being Isla Mujeres an island in the Mexican Caribbean, getting there can be a bit confusing, but don’t worry, here’s how to get to Isla Mujeres by Ferry in a comfortable, fast and safe way.
This article may interest you: Punta Sur Isla Mujeres.
If you are visiting the city of Cancun and want to go to Isla Mujeres, it is very easy, you only need to board a ferry at one of the 4 docks that exist in the city and hotel zone, to cross to Isla Mujeres.
The four points in Cancun where the passenger ferry to Isla Mujeres leaves from are:
This maritime terminal is located on Lopez Portillo Avenue, Supermanzana 84, Manzana 5, Lot 6 in Puerto Juarez, Cancun.
Departures from this point of Cancun start at 5:30 am, an excellent option to see the sunrise in Isla Mujeres. While the last ferry to return is at midnight.
If you want to board the ferry from this point, you have to go to the maritime terminal located on Boulevard Kukulcan at kilometer 6.5 of the Hotel Zone.
Unlike the previous terminal, departures from this point start at 9:00 am and the last return ferry leaves at 7:00 pm from the island.
The El Embarcadero maritime terminal is located on Boulevard Kukulcan at kilometer 4 of the Hotel Zone.
Ferry boarding starts at 10:45 am and the last ferry to return to Cancun from Isla Mujeres to this point leaves at 5:45 pm.
If you are enjoying Playa Caracol, located at kilometer 9.5 of the Hotel Zone and you want to go to Isla Mujeres, you can do so from 10:30 am, when the first ferry leaves to the island, while the last ferry back is at 5:45 pm.
Now, if you want to transport your car to the island, you must use the Isla Mujeres car ferry, which departs every three hours from the Punta Sam terminal, located at kilometer 8.16 of the Hotel Zone, from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
As mentioned before, the first ferry crossing from Cancun to Isla Mujeres is at 5:30 am and the first ferry crossing from Isla Mujeres to Cancun is at 6 am. On the other hand, the last ferry from Cancun to Isla Mujeres is at 11:00 pm and from Isla Mujeres to Cancun at 12:00 pm.
Please note that the trip takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Now that you know from which terminal you are going to take the ferry and the schedule, you should know that the price varies depending on the departure point.
The approximate fares are:
Departure from Puerto Juarez.
· Adult rate: $190 MXN or 9 USD Single Trip / $380 MXN or 18 USD Round Trip.
· Children rate: $150 MXN or 7 USD Single Trip / $300 MXN or 15 USD Round Trip.
Departures from the Hotel Zone (Tortugas Beach, El Embarcadero or Caracol Beach).
· Adult Rate: $300 MXN or 15 USD Single Trip / $420 MXN or 21 USD Round Trip.
· Children Rate: $200 MXN or 10 USD Single Trip / $300 MXN or 15 USD Round Trip.
Departure from Punta Sam (exclusive for Cars).
· Car rate: $500 MXN or 25 USD Single Trip.
· Bicycle rate: $120 MXN or 6 USD Single Trip.
It is important to note that with the purchase of your ticket, you are entitled to carry up to 25 kilos of luggage and no more than 142 cm.
· If you arrived at the marine terminal in your own or rented car and do not plan to take it to Isla Mujeres, you will have to leave it in one of the many parking lots that charge between $50 and $100 pesos per day.
· Most ferries have comfortable seats, air conditioning, restrooms, and video entertainment screens.
· One of the most recommended hotels to stay or spend the day while sightseeing in Isla Mujeres is Hotel Beló, book now!
Hotel Belo Isla Mujeres
Contact us: +52 1 (998) 209 6922
Carretera Sac Bajo No. 046 Lt. 5 Mz. 072 SM 07 Isla Mujeres, Q.Roo C.P. 77400